Today I spent a fair while on a quest to display only page content on a WordPress site of mine. The situation is that I’m trying to make a very easily updated marketing website for an online-learning project of mine. I like using a proprietary page slider for WordPress (and other platforms, excluding my Moodle e-learning platform). So, hacky as it is, I opted to spin up a dedicated WordPress site that’d just host the sliders in content-only custom theme template files. Of course, this mandated rolling up the sleeves.
Here’s my custom theme page:
I’ve been working on migrating a Moodle 2.4+ installation from a rickety old Ubuntu 10.04 server on Amazon EC2 to a fresh machine as I can’t seem to update the original server to 12.04, which has newer PHP packages I require to run Moodle 2.6+, which I want specifically due to a user stats plugin I want installed.. So with one thing leading to another, I ran aground recently when I upgraded Ubuntu’s 12.04 Apache2 version to Apache 2.4 (from some PPA). This resulted in my site no longer working, it pretty much just said access denied. This was due to some new Apache security setting that my migrated Virtual Host config lacked.
Should I run in to later, I’m throwing down steps I’ll follow to avoid the same ice bergs that costs me to burn a little more coffee than I’d prefer….
Step 1) Install PHP5.5/Apache2.4 via PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ondrej/php5;sudo apt-get update;apt-get -y upgrade
Step 2) Check VHost Config’s Directory sections, add
Require all granted if not present.
Here’s the key stuff I used to find this approach in the first place: http://askubuntu.com/questions/109404/how-do-i-install-latest-php-in-supported-ubuntu-versions-like-5-4-x-in-ubuntu-1
So, it’s been years overdue, but meh. I’ve finally open sourced the code for my cruddy little program, Shit Talker Phoenix. The OSX and Windows versions were developed entirely separately, so they’re posted as entirely separate projects. I put the code up on GitHub. Please feel free to fork, modify and send me pull requests (so I can merge your changes).
STP OSX on GitHub
STP Windows on GitHub
I’ve been working on a somewhat private personal website intended for sharing of family videos. I’ve converted roughly 200hrs of old family video tapes in to media files and am well on my way to having converted the files in to individual scenes/clips. The content is being shared, with family, using an instant of the web application “MediaDrop”. I love this web application. It’s epic. I was just looking for a podcast feed generator and I found a lot more in MediaDrop.
I then got sort of obsessed with this cool web app and eventually having family members upload their own videos. The problem was I need the format of the content to be normalized such that it’ll cooperate over the podcast feed. After all, these are meant to be easily viewed on Apple TVs. I found a script for this job, as MediaDrop doesn’t transcode. Only the script kind of sucked for my purposes. So I forked it!
Check out my first github project here: https://github.com/docdawning/mediadrop-handbrake-bot
It automatically transcodes uploaded videos to MP4 files, compatible with Apple TV3 devices.
This is the tale of a man who was faced with colossal data loss. As his family photos seem to fade in to the ether and with nothing to lose, he draw a line in the digital sand. He became Tony, The Digital Warlock.
Continue reading All Hail Tony, The Digital Warlock